The Fennec fox who is sometimes referred as desert fox is the smallest species of fox in the world. It belongs to the family of dog-like mammals that is Canidae. Fennec fox is mostly found in the sandy deserts of the North Africa, Sinai Peninsula and in Asia. It is the target of hunters because of its soft fur. They are able to jump higher due to their size. This is an exotic pet caught from the wild and kept as a pet. They are only 16 inches in length. Read more for Fennec fox facts.
Basic Fennec Fox Facts
- The fennec fox is an omnivore and will eat everything available to them including plants and small animals. Normally they eat plants but they also eat insects, small rodents, reptiles, birds and eggs that are left unguarded.
- They are nocturnal in habit and search their food in the night time when temperatures are cooler.
- Their scientific name is Fennecus zerda.
- As they live in deserts and usually they face a shortage of water. So they are adapted to the environment and can go long periods of time without water.
- Fence fox reach up to 9 to 16 inches in length and 2 to 3 pounds of weight.
- They have fur on their body which helps to keep the body temperature normal during cold nights and also protect skin from the harsh sun during the day.
- Fennec fox has an efficient sense of smelling and hearing which are used for the detection of food sources.
- Fennec fox has low predators because they are difficult to capture because they ran very fast and jump very higher. But The Eagle owl is the fox’s main predator. Other predators are jackals, hyenas, caracals, and Salukis.
- Fennec fox lifespan is approximately 12 – 14 years in captivity and about 10 years in the wild.
- The mating season for this specie ranges from January to February. They form monogamous couples that last a lifetime.
- Male is very aggressive in the mating season and guards their territory. They use their urine and feces to mark the border of their territory.
- Fennec fox reaches sexual maturity at the age of 10 months.
- Females produce one litter per season. Pregnancy lasts 50 days and ends with 2 to 4 babies (kits). They depend on the mother’s milk until the age of 60 to 70 days.
- Fennec fox digs cave that can be 3 feet profound and 32 feet long. The cave is typically situated at the base of the steady sand rises, encompassed with inadequate vegetation which is utilized as the extra sanctuary from the warmth.
- Their tails measure 7 to 12.2 inches (18 to 31 centimeters).
Fennec Fox Den Facts
- A small group of family members lives together in dens.
- The dens are made by sand and it is the small area where plants provide shelter.
- Dens have many different entrances and connect to the dens of different families.
- Dens can become very large, reaching over 1200 sq. feet (111 square meters).
- They can live in a family group of about 15 animals.
Facts about Fennec Fox Body Features
- They have long ears that make them distinguished and are approximately 6 inches long that help to spread out the heat so that these creatures stay cool and don’t overheat in the hot desert.
- The ears aids the Fennec Fox in getting prey by its strong sense of hearing. They hear so well that they can hear prey underneath the surface of the ground.
- Fennec Foxes are beige or cream in color. The light color encourages them to mix into their surroundings for protection.
- The tails are incredibly long for its size and they are highlighted with a dark tip.
- The Fennec Fox’s feet help it in two ways. They are hairy on the base which helps to keep it cool and protected from the hot sun-soaked sand. They likewise enable them to burrow, which is the manner by which they make their dens.
- The soft, long hair that covers their body protects them from both the cold nights and the hot daytime sun.
Fennec fox habitat
They are mostly found in the sandy deserts of Sahara, North Africa and in Asia. They are adopted towards the desert habitat. Fennec fox can live without water for a long time and they are nocturnal and habit.
The Fennec Fox as a Pet
The fennec fox is a beautiful, friendly, smart and loving animal that can be kept as a pet. As this animal has wild and sandy habitat so you have to take care of its habitat if you want to adopt this as a pet. It also require special attention care and love. They are very social animals and found to be a good pet for you.
Fennec fox adaptations
Their sandy fur helps to reflect heat, and also provides excellent camouflage. These species also have enough fur on the soles of their feet, which insulate against the hot sand of the desert.
Fennec fox pet cost:
Fennec fox cost approximately $1500- 2000 and people usually placed on the waiting list for a year to obtain a kit from a breeder. They are better bound to their first owners.
You may also read the following posts.